4.8.13

seriously good green choco smoothie




This is one of those things that I didn't think I would ever post - not because of inherent worthiness but simply because who needs a recipe for a smoothie?!!! Seriously. Put stuff in, process until smooth, drink. Simple as simple can be. But sometimes when you put stuff in it turns out to be seriously good and those times need to be remembered. The first time I made this smoothie David was wise enough to recommend that I write the ingredients down "so that you can make it again." It was just that good. So good that the 'title' of the recipe on the note paper stuck to the inside of my cabinet door is "Seriously Good Green Choco Smoothie" (with caps, lol). Not to blow my own horn ... he said it :)

Dates, cacao, chia, maca, spinach, banana, and almond butter load this smoothie with superfood goodness and the same ingredients load it with super deliciousness. It is rich and chocolatey and absolutely a treat. I am honestly so glad David had the foresight he did because this is just pretty perfect and the stars may never have aligned in just the right way again - I may or may not have remembered what went in and how much and that would have been a tragedy. This is date-night-treat-level good ... 

seriously good green choco smoothie

1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 banana
1 1/2 Tbsp maca powder
3 Tbsp cacao powder
5 medjool dates, pitted
large handful of spinach
1 Tbsp chia seed
1 1/2 Tbsp almond butter
6 ice cubes

Put all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

6 comments:

Jill said...

This sounds so good and I'm looking up where to get maca. :) Thanks for sharing.

Jonathon said...

I totally disagree. I have made some pretty "interesting" green smoothies. Sometimes the only reason I drink them is for the nutrients. :)

ESTHER BEAZER said...

where do you find maca?

Cheri said...

Esther - you can buy powdered maca root at any whole foods type store. There are several brands available in Canada - one I like is Organic Traditions but there are lots of others.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Tried this recipe out with only one sub (didn't have maca so I used 1 Tbsp spirulina instead). Delicious! Mine was green from the spirulina but OH SO GOOD!!

Thank you so much for sharing. I will be making this one again and again. :)

Melissa

Bren Murphy said...

Yes, maca powder is really helpful and doesn't impact too much on the taste of the smoothie. If you don't like the taste, try adding a teaspoon scoop of peanut butter to add that delightful nutty warmth.
Thank you
Bren
Using Stainless Steel Drinking Straws