7.5.13

the banana bread that inspired the oatmeal




This is hardly seasonal but is there season for ripe bananas? It seems that I always overbuy bananas - why else the all-to-common bunch of darkening fruit in the fruit bowl? So it is either feast or famine here, we either have bananas or we don't. Of course you say, there is no other way, you can't 'kind of' have bananas but what I mean is that there are long stretches between bunches of darkening bananas. I don't ever eat bananas as they come but mash 'em up and add them to whatever and well, there is a long list of things that bananas make ever so much better - smoothies, banana muffins, banana pancakes, banana bread oatmeal, and what would banana bread be without bananas?

I have been making this banana bread for longer than I care to think about. It is the definition of banana bread in our house and is the recipe that Jonathon referred to when he came up with the amazing banana bread oatmeal.  I don't remember where I first found the recipe but I believe the credit goes to Mark Bittman. At any rate it is truly wonderful and truly easy. A good thing to have around for when you are sure someone is going to want to eat a banana or two for a snack and then they don't. It happens. Go figure.

The addition of coconut is genius. I have tried this subbing coconut oil for the butter - it's good but the butter is better so I recommend not messing with that.

coconut banana bread
(adapted from Mark Bittman)


1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sprouted whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas - mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Mix together dry ingredients. Cream the butter. Whisk the eggs and banana into the butter then stir the lot into the dry ingredients. Gently stir in vanilla and coconut.

Pour into greased 9x5" loaf pan. Bake at 350 F for 45-60 minutes - until nicely browned. Do not over-bake. Cool on rack 15 minutes before removing from pan.

This is practically irresistible straight from the oven, cooled and sliced, or toasted with a dab of jam. Just don't spread it with butter - please! It really is great all by itself.

3 comments:

Jonathon said...

This is the BEST!

Donna said...

I have noticed sprouted wheat flour in a few or your recipes. Do you buy sprouted wheat flour, or do you make your own? And if you make your own, how do you do that? Thanks! Your an inspiration!

Cheri said...

Donna - I wish I could say that I made my own sprouted grain flours! I keep intending to get a dehydrator (for this and other purposes) but I have yet to do that. I use and love Anita's Organic Mill flours:
http://www.anitasorganic.com/index.php
I know that Planet Organic carries their products in Calgary. Whole Foods does elsewhere.

If you are interested in making your own flours here is a great link:
http://nourishedkitchen.com/how-to-make-sprouted-grain-flour/