16.5.13

avocado chicken salad




There is a story with this recipe - of course there is! - but this is story with a moral. The whole story is very long and a bit ridiculous (as is the case with most stories involving morals) but the long and the short goes like this....

Once upon a time there was a beautiful young woman named Eden. She fell in love with a handsome man and they decided to marry. Plans were made and Eden's mother was very happy and busy making every little thing - a wedding dress, food and decorations for the reception, invitations, dresses for flower girls and bridesmaids. Being an independent sort of person she didn't ask for help (but she should have!) On the day of the wedding all was going well until Cheri realized that the chicken for the chicken salad was still in the freezer at home and not in the fridge at the reception venue. The distance between where the chicken was and where it was supposed to be was too great to be overcome in time. Panic ensued. Some people spoke a little too loudly and not very kindly. The mother of the bride lost all composure and cried enough to ruin her makeup. Fortunately there was an easy solution - buy more chicken. Easy. Happy. Problem solved. The moral? Everybody needs some help and most people don't mind being asked. In fact I have learned that many people truly want to help. Supermoms are only a myth. ... well, except for their ability to love. That part is true.

Although a small part of the day was ridiculously traumatic at the time, I have wonderful memories of of Eden's wedding. This chicken salad is inseparably connected with those memories. Jonathon was working for the Capilano Group at the time and got the concept for the recipe from the chef at The Bridge House at Capilano Suspension Bridge and Park. I say concept because the recipe I got was for such a huge quantity that I couldn't wrap my head around it. Whatever the case we love this chicken salad - and when I say 'we' I mean men, women, and children. Eden likes it so well that she suggested a sidebar on the blog with favourite recipes listed; this one topping the list. It is easy enough for a quick lunch or picnic and fancy enough for a ladies-that-lunch kind of affair. 

Some of us eat our chicken salad in a croissant, others on a bed of greens - it is a big hit either way.

I usually buy a rotisserie chicken for this, it is about perfect. I also prefer to use red grapes for taste and appearance but today the red grapes were less than perfect so I bought green. Still good, still pretty. Add a little or a lot of cayenne according to your taste.

avocado chicken salad

3 cups cooked, diced chicken
2 green onions, white and green parts sliced thin
1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup red grapes, halved
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 avocado, peeled and diced

Combine all the ingredients except the avocado. Fold it in gently just before serving.



4 comments:

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

I love a good chicken salad! We have a curry chicken salad as a staple, but this one is going to make an appearance in the mix!

I love the idea of a sidebar. I pin a lot of your recipe's as it is.

Thank you for sharing! And for the moral. Asking for help is such a good idea, I should do it more myself.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Cheri!!!! I have a event Monday night and this is exactly what I need!!!!
Love to all you family!!
DeEtte

Eden Lang said...

this is soooo good! thanks for posting it so we can use it alllllllll the time:)

Jonathon said...

I made this on Sunday evening to have for lunches this week and I'm so glad I did! Thanks for posting this Litchfield favorite mom!