29.3.13

sleeping bunnies




There is a nursery rhyme:

See the little bunnies sleeping until noon
Come let us wake them with a merry tune
They're so still, are they ill?
Wake up little bunnies, hop, hop, hop
Hop, hop, hop, hop, hop, hop.
Wake up little bunnies, hop, hop, hop
Hop. Hop. Hop.

Hannah sings it to her little ones. I love to watch them "sleep" and then wake - hopping here, there and everywhere. I cherish a pretty memory of a golden afternoon, Jane in a diaper and white onesie, her pretty hair a bright flame against the dark floor as she keeps her eyes tightly closed waiting for the call to wake and hop, a tiny smile trembling on her lips. Sleeping bunnies = Jane (for me)

I spent a fun afternoon playing with felt and fabrics making MerMag's bunny treat bags. Eight grandbabies means eight treat bags - each a little different. The original bags are made of felt (always a great choice) but I had a bit of great striped linen that was begging to be a bunny. I cut that bag on the bias so that the inevitable fraying wouldn't be a disaster and lined his ears with a bit of red felt - a reverse of the felt bags and fabric-lined ears of the other bunnies.  For fun I embellished the ears with bits of Japanese fabrics from my stash and filled them with cheap tiny games, a Kinder Surprise and a few chocolate eggs. 

Ysa and Aubrie were my test market. Ysa was snoring for her bunny within seconds. lol.

There is a DIY for 'sleeping' bunny treat bags here. Fast, easy and fun to make. Maybe a late idea for this year ... maybe not though. If you don't spend (too) long playing with fabric combinations each bag takes about 10 minutes to stitch up.

I am thinking wistfully of dying eggs. Maybe I will.

2 comments:

alyson said...

We sing that song in Nursery, different words, but it's a favourite.

Anonymous said...

We also were Nursery leaders until 2 weeks ago and sing that song with our little ones - they love it. I also made those sleeping bunny treat bags for our kids for their Easter treats this year and they were the most darling things. All of my kids loved them!