6.10.12

grilled pizza with cheesy corn, fresh tomatoes, and basil







I love pizza. Not the typical greasy pizza joint Americanized version with dozens of toppings but the simple and delicious Neapolitan style. I love the thin chewy crust and the fresh clean flavours. My very, very favourite is a Margherita pizza. Simple perfection. When we go for pizza that is the one I always choose and the one I always make when I make pizza at home. Boring? maybe to some but ... why mess with perfection? Although I haven't changed my mind on that score the simple tweak of adding a corn "sauce" instead of tomato sauce is divine.

The recipe is from the August issue of Martha Stewart Living and it is every bit as good as I thought it would be when I fell in love with the picture. Martha's team has come up with a winner again. They suggest using store-bought dough; I have a recipe for pizza dough that is really good and honestly easier than making the trip to the market and buying some so I used that. Aside from that small change this is straight from the magazine. 

Once again I am late to the party but better late than never! I have had grilled pizza on the list of things I wanted to make for years. Really - years. Fast, easy, and super delicious, it is the closest I have been able to come to the perfection of a wood-fired oven pizza at home. I can't believe I waited so long. 

grilled pizza with cheesy corn, fresh tomatoes, and basil
(from Martha Stewart Living)

1 1/2 cups corn kernels (cut from 2 ears)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 tsp salt

Put the corn, Parmesan, garlic, 2 Tbsp olive oil, and 1/2 tsp sea salt in food processor and puree until smooth with small chunks.

Spread remaining oil on a baking sheet. Place dough on pan and stretch to an even thickness, turning to coat both sides with oil. Let rest for 30 minutes and then restretch.

Preheat the grill to medium. Season dough with salt and transfer to the grill. (It took four hands for us to transfer the dough to the grill and keep it reasonably flat.) Cover grill and
cook until dough is just charred on the bottom. It happens super fast (about 3 or 4 minutes) so don't wander.

Flip dough and top with corn mixture and tomato slices. Season with a bit more salt and top with mozzarella. Cover grill and cook until the mozzarella has melted - about 5 or 6 minutes. Top with basil and serve.

(This dough recipe make enough for two pizzas and works equally well for oven-baked pizza)
Dough:
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
3/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp kosher salt

In a small bowl mix together the first three ingredients and set aside.

In a large bowl combine the flours and salt. Make a well in the center and add the 3/4 cups water, cider vinegar, olive oil, and yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon stir gently until a shaggy dough forms. You can add more water if it feels too stiff - this wants to be quite a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it until it is supple and silky. Form dough into a ball, coat lightly with oil and place in a bowl. Cover with a damp towel and set in a warm-ish spot to rise for a couple of hours. (The longer the rising time the better the taste. So if you want to make your dough in the morning - or even the night before - all the better.)

those are Hannah's pretty hands . Thanks Han :)

1 comment:

Christina said...

Looks amazing! Neapolitan style is my favorite as well, especially after living in Florence and eating as much pizza as I could handle :) Great post.