5.4.12

chocolate date "truffles"


Dates may not be everyone's favorite sweet snack but they are a top contender for mine. Packed with minerals (copper, potassium, magnesium, and manganese), a decent dose of vitamins (3 B vitamins plus C, D, A, and K), and a healthy amount of fiber - I think it would be justifiable to need at least a date a day. I like dates just the way they come. I like them in salads and bars. But my current favorite date treat has to be these "truffles". The recipe came to me from Maria through Eden but beyond that I don't know who to credit. I do know that everyone needs this recipe. It is full of goodness - dates are just the beginning - fast, fun, and easy. Just be warned....when making these it was a case of a spoonful to roll and a pinch to eat. Lucky I had any to share :)
I used pecans in my "truffles" because I like the taste of pecans with dates. I don't eat walnuts because when I do I get an annoying, itchy, ugly, red rash but walnuts could be good too. Or you could simply go with almonds all the way.


chocolate date truffles
(from Eden and Maria Lang, with a tiny tweak or two)
14 pitted Medjool dates
100 gm flaked coconut
60 gm raw pecans
40 gm raw almonds
1 Tbsp coconut oil
4 Tbsp organic cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Put all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the nuts are finely chopped. Roll into 1" balls and roll in coconut flakes, chopped nuts, or cocoa powder.

1 comment:

Amber Joy said...

My friend made these a while back and added some peppermint extract instead of the cinnamon. Another yummy alternative!