3.1.12

reading: my stroke of insight

I know I am a little late to the party with this book but better late than never. I have been reading Jill Bolte Taylor's My Stroke of Insight over the last few days. So many intriguing ideas and bits of information! I love the way she relates to her brain and her body - the reverence for how amazing we human beings are, the respect she has for the way in which brains and bodies respond to the demands placed upon them every day. It is more than interesting to read about the progression of her recovery, to see that her re-learning so closely follows the same path as a child's first learning. To wonder if an infant has a similar experience. 


I am busy in my own mind trying to fit some of her pieces together, to see if they work for me. The idea that we run some 'programs' over and over - even when they make us unhappy or unsuccessful - just because they are familiar, intrigues me. And the better idea that we have control over which programs we run. I am trying to figure out how to control (really control) not running those unproductive loops in my own head. It's good work.


I am soooooo grateful that I can read, that the world is there for me to see -when I open a book. I love reading! and I am so relieved that after close to a year and a half of total disinterest in something that had previously been a joy, I have found my reading self again. 

2 comments:

Jonathon said...

I haven't read the book but I remember being facinated with her Ted Talk. Such an incredible experience and it's so neat to be able to learn from someone who has such a deep academic and personal understanding of how our brain works. I should read that book this year.

Cheri said...

DO read it. I highly recommend this book. There are so many ideas to think about and so many directions to go with them - lots of fun for my brain, so hopefully for your as well.